Friday, February 20, 2015

Reptile Friends

So I'm a bit of a nerd. I love animals!! Like I know so many facts. When I was little people would always ask me their animal questions. Last year I joined my schools Animal Welfare League. It partners up with this animal shelter and they bring in animals and teach us about them. We meet every other Thursday. Yesterday they brought in reptiles.
{Sorry I'm still working on my photography}
This is Guapo the iguana. It was feeding time and he was starving, walking around the room trying to eat toe nail polish, colorful electric cables, basically anything with color so we made him a salad.
 He's 12 years old. He's lived longer than most iguanas in captivity which usually only live to about 6.
He lost the tip of his tail and his upper lip was amputated that's why he has an under bite.
He's a mango colored iguana from the jungles of South America. Though his color he is still classified as a green iguana. Now days they eat iguanas there. Ewe!!!
When he was done eating he told us by just walking away under my chair. 
 This is Leo the leopard gecko. His scales were so smooth and velvety! I loved him! His coloring helps him blend into pebbles and rocks on the ground from birds flying overhead.
 See how fat his tail is!! That's because it stores fat like a camels hump. It can loose its tail but 80% of all lizards/geckos die within a year of loosing their tail so don't pull off a lizards tail for fun. You could be killing it.
He winked at the camera.
 I wanted a good picture of his eyes because the had like brown flecks and looked like snake eyes, but this was the best I could get.
A better view of Leo's tail. We weren't allowed to hold him because they said he was very delicate, like his toes could easily fall off. He's not a climber he said.
This is Javier the Rosy Boa Constrictor. Don't worry, he didn't strangle anyone.
 He sure had a strong grip on my hand though. The reason he was holding on so tight was because he felt unbalanced like he was going to fall so he was gripping things to feel safe.
He was so smooth. His scales felt amazing but you have to be sure to rub them the right way. Going up their body towards their heads pulls their scales back and doesn't feel so good for you or them.
 He got a grip on her phone. It took her a while, and the other teacher, to pry the phone out of his tail.
See how tight he got it. This was right before the other teacher started helping. He just pulled it right out of her pocket.
So that was my Thursday. The meetings are right after school so I didn't get home till 5. It was a long day but I love going. Today I just went to a wedding. I don't have any pictures but I'm getting one form the photo booth once they send them to me. My long lost friend that moved to Texas' sister was on an LDS mission when they moved so she came home to Mesa and after about a month was engaged to a high school friend. They're adorable together and I'm so glad I saw my friend. I might hang out with her tomorrow if she stays in Arizona. I hope we hang tomorrow. Well I'll update you tomorrow. Feel free to comment any questions. Check in later.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment